Immigration & Visa

While the United States places few restrictions on foreign ownership of real estate, as a foreign buyer you do face restrictions on your use of and access to your property. As a foreign visitor from countries participating in the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), like Sweden and most European and many Asian nations, you can stay in the U.S. for 90 days. During this time you can purchase residential or business property, but to conduct business here you must apply for a visa.

There are many different types of visas, each presenting different restrictions. To learn more about the most common ones, visit

One pathway to staying in the U.S. indefinitely and perhaps later becoming a citizen is to buy commercial property and establish a small business.
The E-2 Treaty Investor Visa is an example of that and allows foreign nationals to do this. To get the right information for your specific situation, contact an immigration lawyer who can guide you through the process. We are working with local immigration lawyers and would be happy to refer you to someone who best suits your needs.

Per & Helena Nordstrom

Sotheby’s International Realty® is a registered trademark licensed to Sotheby’s International Realty Affiliates LLC. Each Office Is Independently Owned And Operated.